Monday, November 29, 2010

The Butterfly...

***
The last, the very last,
So richly, brightly, dazzlingly yellow.
Perhaps if the sun’s tears would sing
against a white stone. . . .     Such, such a yellow....   Is carried lightly ‘way up high.
It went away I’m sure because it wished to
Radiant butterfly shot taken in the widow of my apartment 
kiss the world good-bye.
For seven weeks I’ve lived in here,
Penned up inside this ghetto.
But I have found what I love here.
The dandelions call to me
And the white chestnut branches in the court.
Only I never saw another butterfly.
That butterfly was the last one.
Butterflies don’t live in here,
in the ghetto.
- by Pavel Friedman

Pavel Friedmann was born in Prague on January 7, 1921. He was deported to Terezin on April 26, 1942 and later to Auschwitz, where he died on September 29, 1944.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

okay so your so creatively colorful...i hate you...but i love your blog of course..i cant sleep..up thinking about how men dont love anymore...and women...im sick of it...you should write a blog about it (umm..maybe religion free this time?)